Michael R. King
- J.D., University of Arizona, 1979
- B.A., University of Arizona, 1975
- Professional + Civic
Mike is a founding member of Gammage & Burnham. His practice emphasizes creditors’ rights and construction issues, and also includes consulting and supervising throughout the firm’s areas of business. These include emphasis on creditors’ rights — bankruptcy cases, general litigation, loan documentation, work-outs, foreclosures and forcible detainers– as well as deficiency collection and accounts collection. His client list includes banks, developers, mortgage companies, distributors in various industries, restaurants and leasing companies. He also has numerous clients in the agricultural, hospitality and non-profit sectors.
Mike is experienced in handling large lawsuits involving complex legal issues from crop damage claims and construction litigation to sophisticated Uniform Commercial Code cases.
His real estate practice includes construction, lending and finance, development, leasing and sales of retail, office, hotel, residential, multi-family and industrial properties and planned communities, as well as litigation.
Mike also represents construction clients, including architects, engineers, contractors and material suppliers, in lien and bond claims and other litigation, as well as in contract negotiation and preparation. He advises clients on day-to-day business transactions, preparing and perfecting security interests, preparing sales and license agreements, distribution agreements, credit agreements, copyright and trademark applications, other intellectual property matters, employment agreements and advice on labor and other issues.
Over the course of his career, Mike has earned recognition by Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Arizona’s Finest Lawyers Foundation and North Valley Magazine. He was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as “Lawyer of the Year” in Phoenix for 2019 in the area of Construction Law.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Construction Law Book, HLK Global Communications (2015)
- State Bar of Arizona Construction Law Practice Manual (Chapters on Construction Liens and Stop Payment Notices)
- Collected $4,250,000 from a Mexican agricultural entity that was in insolvency court in Mexico City.
- Successfully recovered pre-petition unsecured debt for suppliers in Chapter 11 proceedings of debtors in such diverse industries as mining and agriculture.
- Successfully recovered more than $800,000 for a general contractor on a mechanic’s lien claim on a hospitality property.
- Updated and revised all credit documents, including credit policies and procedures, credit applications, promissory notes and guarantees, for a national distributor of products.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Maricopa County Bar Foundation, Member (Chairman – 1994)
- Barrow Neurological Foundation, Secretary (2015-2018)
- National Association of Credit Managers Arizona Chapter, Former Director
- Commercial and Financial Development Division of NACM, Member
- University of Arizona Law College Association, President (2016-2018)
- Valley of the Sun YMCA, Director (Chairman – 2011-2012)
- University of Arizona Alumni Engineering Council, Member
- Board of Directors of Experience Scottsdale, Executive Committee (Ex-officio Member)
- AIA Arizona, Member
- Arizona Builders Alliance, Member
- Alliance for Construction Excellence, Former Member
- Commercial Law League of America, Member
- Arizona Farm Bureau, Member
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, Member
- Planned Giving Roundtable of Arizona, Member
- Desert Mission – Honor Health, Board Member