Christopher L. Hering
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Arizona, 2010
- B.S., summa cum laude, Arizona State University, 2007
- Professional + Civic
Chris helps his clients achieve their objectives by seeking creative and business-oriented solutions.
As a litigator, Chris endeavors to resolve disputes in an efficient and cost-effective manner. His focus areas include construction, health care, cannabis, real estate, creditors’ rights, administrative law, and municipal and public entity law, but his experience spans an even wider variety of matters and industries. Chris particularly enjoys shaping the law as an appellate advocate and has appeared in federal and state courts of all levels, including the U.S. Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Arizona Supreme Court.
As a construction lawyer, Chris handles just about any matter that arises out of a construction project, including professional licensing, contract drafting and negotiation, public bidding and procurement, payment disputes, mechanic’s lien and surety bond claims, delay claims, construction and design defect claims, and indemnity and warranty claims. He also advises his clients on business issues affecting construction, including risk management and allocation, insurance, and transaction privilege tax matters.
As a health care lawyer, Chris focuses on reimbursement matters, including health care provider lien enforcement, and regulatory and licensing matters. He helps health care providers maximize their recoveries, navigate complex regulatory regimes, and remain in compliance with their licensing regulations.
Chris can make even the driest of topics interesting and accessible. He has recently presented for the Arizona Builders Alliance, CFDD Phoenix, Southwest Business Credit Services, the Arizona State University College of Law, and the Maricopa County Bar Association.
Before joining Gammage & Burnham, Chris clerked for Arizona Supreme Court Justice A. John Pelander. He earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Arizona, where he graduated first in his class and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Before law school, Chris attended the Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University, graduating summa cum laude with B.S. degrees in Economics and Finance. He is a diehard Sun Devil sports fan.
Chris has been selected by Super Lawyers as one of its Southwest Rising Stars for six consecutive years from 2014 to 2019. This designation is given to only 2.5% of Arizona lawyers.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona PBS, Arizona Horizon, Prop 123 Deemed Illegal (2019)
- Arizona Construction Law Book, HLK Global Communications (2015)
- Dignity Health v. Farmers Ins. Co. of Ariz., 247 Ariz. 39, 444 P.3d 743 (App. 2019)
- Saban Rent-A-Car v. Ariz. Dep’t of Revenue, 246 Ariz. 89, 434 P.3d 1168 (2019) (as amicus)
- Saban Rent-A-Car, LLC v. Ariz. Dept. of Revenue, 244 Ariz. 293, 418 P.3d 1066 (App. 2018) (as amicus)
- Ariz. Chamber of Commerce & Indus. v. Kiley, 242 Ariz. 533, 399 P.3d 80 (2017) (as amicus)
- Abbott v. Banner Health Network, 239 Ariz. 409, 372 P.3d 933 (2016)
- Ponderosa Fire Dist. v. Coconino Cty., 235 Ariz. 597, 334 P.3d 1256 (App. 2014)
- Parker v. City of Tucson, 233 Ariz. 422, 314 P.3d 100 (App. 2013)
- RSP Architects, Ltd. v. Five Star Dev. Resort Communities, LLC, 232 Ariz. 436, 306 P.3d 93 (App. 2013)
- Arizona Indep. Redistricting Comm’n v. Brewer, 229 Ariz. 347, 275 P.3d 1267 (2012)
- Successfully defended Arizona’s hospitals against class action litigation to unwind many years of settlements of health care provider liens.
- Successfully defeated lawsuit to compel a municipality to enforce subdivision bonds, resulting in a published opinion construing Arizona’s subdivision statutes in favor of municipalities.
- Successfully defeated lawsuit seeking the closure of a medical marijuana dispensary for alleged violations of zoning restrictions.
- Represented Arizona’s public education interests as amicus in defense of Proposition 123, which increased distributions from Arizona’s state land trust fund to the public schools.
- Successfully enforced a general contractor’s mechanic’s lien claim against a commercial property owner, obtaining full payment of the outstanding balance for work performed and partial payment of accrued interest.
- Represented a global plastics manufacturer in drafting and negotiating design and construction contracts for a 450,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility and accompanying railroad spur.
- Represented former Governor Jan Brewer in original special action at the Arizona Supreme Court regarding Governor Brewer’s removal of the chairwoman of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- Arizona Association of Health Care Lawyers, Member
- Arizona Builders Alliance, Member
- State Bar of Arizona Construction Law Section, Executive Council Member
- Greater Phoenix Economic Council, Certified Ambassador
- Barrett Honors College Alumni Council, Member