Christopher L. Hering
- Professional + Civic
Chris practices commercial litigation, appellate law, construction law, and health care law. He helps his clients achieve their objectives by seeking creative, business-oriented solutions.
In litigating cases, Chris assists his clients in navigating the court system in an efficient, cost-effective manner. Chris has litigated a wide variety of matters, including contracts and commercial law, construction, collections, health care, real estate, election law, municipal law, and administrative law. He is experienced in all phases of litigation, including pretrial discovery, motion practice, trials, and judgment enforcement, and in complex litigation and class actions.
As an appellate lawyer, Chris zealously advocates for his clients and helps shape the law governing their industries. His appellate practice ranges from commercial and real estate matters to high profile, politically-charged cases. He has appeared in federal and state appellate courts of all levels, including the U.S. Supreme Court, the Arizona Supreme Court, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Chris also has extensive experience in amicus practice, expedited election appeals, appeals from administrative agencies, and special actions at all levels of the Arizona judiciary.
As a construction lawyer, Chris handles just about any matter that arises out of a construction project, including professional licensing issues, contract drafting and negotiation, building code compliance, payment disputes, mechanic’s lien enforcement, surety bond claims, delay claims, construction and design defect claims, and indemnity and warranty claims. He also helps his clients understand the business aspects of construction, including risk management and allocation, insurance matters, and transaction privilege tax matters.
Chris’ health care practice focuses on reimbursement matters, including health care provider lien enforcement, and regulatory and licensing matters. He helps health care providers maximize their recoveries, navigate complex regulatory regimes, and remain in compliance with their licensing regulations.
Before joining Gammage & Burnham, Chris clerked for Arizona Supreme Court Justice A. John Pelander. He earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Arizona, where he graduated first in his class and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. Before law school, Chris attended the Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University as an undergraduate, graduating summa cum laude with B.S. degrees in Economics and Finance.
Chris has been selected by Super Lawyers as one of its Southwest Rising Stars for five consecutive years from 2014 to 2018. This designation is given to only 2.5% of Arizona lawyers.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Construction Law Book, HLK Global Communications (2015)
- Saban Rent-A-Car, LLC v. Ariz. Dept. of Revenue, 244 Ariz. 293, 418 P.3d 1066 (App. 2018) (as amicus)
- Ariz. Chamber of Commerce & Indus. v. Kiley, 242 Ariz. 533, 399 P.3d 80 (2017) (as amicus)
- Abbott v. Banner Health Network, 239 Ariz. 409, 372 P.3d 933 (2016)
- Ponderosa Fire Dist. v. Coconino Cty., 235 Ariz. 597, 334 P.3d 1256 (App. 2014)
- Parker v. City of Tucson, 233 Ariz. 422, 314 P.3d 100 (App. 2013)
- RSP Architects, Ltd. v. Five Star Dev. Resort Communities, LLC, 232 Ariz. 436, 306 P.3d 93 (App. 2013)
- Arizona Indep. Redistricting Comm’n v. Brewer, 229 Ariz. 347, 275 P.3d 1267 (2012)
- Successfully defended Arizona’s hospitals against litigation to unwind many years of settlements of health care provider liens.
- Successfully defeated lawsuit to compel a municipality to enforce subdivision bonds, resulting in a published opinion construing Arizona’s subdivision statutes in favor of municipalities.
- Represented a global plastics manufacturer in drafting and negotiating design and construction contracts for a 450,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility and accompanying railroad spur.
- Represented former Governor Jan Brewer in original special action at the Arizona Supreme Court regarding Governor Brewer’s removal of the chairwoman of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- Arizona Association of Health Care Lawyers, Member
- Arizona Builders Alliance, Member
- State Bar of Arizona Construction Law Section, Executive Council Member
- Greater Phoenix Economic Council, Certified Ambassador
- Barrett Honors College Alumni Council, Member