Thomas J. McDonald
- Professional + Civic
Speaker. Author. University of Michigan alum who bleeds blue. Tom wears many hats, but none more important than his role as an award-winning transactions attorney with more than 20 years of experience – focusing on real estate, corporate and commercial transactions, and public-private transactions.
With regard to real estate, Tom represents homebuilders, developers, investors, owners, infrastructure groups, construction managers, municipalities, health care companies, manufacturers, golf course owners, wind and solar developers and many others. His practice encompasses the acquisition, development, financing, lease and sale of residential, commercial, office, industrial, and agricultural properties.
Tom also has significant experience with public-private transactions, development and land-use agreements, improvement and community facilities districts, water agreements and utility agreements.
For the past 14 years, Tom has been ranked among the Best Lawyers in America for his real estate practice. His name has also graced the lists of Southwest Super Lawyers (2007-2016), Arizona’s Finest Lawyers (2014-2016) and Chambers USA (2014-2016) – all hallmarks of the passion he puts into his practice every single day. But, Tom’s fervor for the legal profession doesn’t live in a bubble inside his practice. He has been actively involved in Arizona’s future through his participation in numerous initiatives, including the Greater Phoenix Economic Council-Community Building Consortium and his current role on the Legislative Committee for Valley Partnership.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Transaction Privilege Tax (coauthor), Commercial Executive (2016)
- Arizona Corporate Practice (coauthor), Thomson Reuters
- Arizona State Board of Real Estate Transactions Manual-First Edition, (Contributing Author)
- Represented major homebuilders for more than 20 years, including helping several homebuilders open and grow Arizona divisions.
- More than 20 years’ experience negotiating and preparing multi-developer and builder joint development agreements for onsite and offsite improvements, including regional road, regional drainage, wastewater treatment plants and water campuses.
- Lead lawyer on acquisition and development of IRIS USA Western USA corporate headquarters, which includes a rail-served manufacturing, distribution and R&D facility.
- Arizona State Land Department transactions, including one of the first utility scale solar leases and one of the first mixed-use and condominium leases.
- Infill representation including public-private parking facilities.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association Sections of Real Estate, Construction, and Corporate, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Arizona Sections of Real Estate, Construction, and Corporate, Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar Arizona Certified Real Estate Specialist
- Valley Partnership Legislative Committee, Member
- Home Builders Association of Central Arizona, Member
- University of Michigan Ross Club of Phoenix, President
- ASU Alliance for Construction Excellence – Public Private
Partnerships and Policy Committee Chair
- Greater Phoenix Economic Council-Community Building Consortium (2010-2016)