Jefferson R. Hayden
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2008
- B.S., Cornell University, 2002
- Professional + Civic
Jefferson Hayden is a partner whose practice is concentrated in the areas of real estate, complex commercial litigation, and healthcare litigation. He has experience in a wide range of matters in state and federal courts, in addition to experience handling matters through alternative dispute forums including arbitration, mediation and settlement conferences. Through his broad array of experience, Jefferson helps his clients reach beneficial and cost-effective solutions to a variety of complex legal issues.
In the real estate context, Jefferson helps a wide array of clients protect and enforce their rights relating to both personal and commercial property. His experience in real estate matters includes title disputes, title curative actions, quiet title actions, condemnation, escrow or title company liability defense, disclosure disputes, adverse possession claims, easement disputes, boundary disputes, trustee sale and foreclosure disputes, wrongful recordation, declaratory judgment actions, residential eviction actions, commercial forcible entry and detainer actions and lease agreement disputes.
For his complex commercial litigation practice, Jefferson has experience in a wide variety of matters including representation of a national pharmaceutical company in a federal court multi-district litigation product liability defense, benefits providers in ERISA health benefit class action defense, an international real estate brokerage company in defending federal trademark infringement claims, and an Arizona corporation’s internal investigation and subsequent prosecution of executives for financial misconduct.
Jefferson’s healthcare practice primarily focuses on medical negligence defense of physicians, dentists, nurses, hospitals, laboratories and other professionals in malpractice cases and board disciplinary proceedings. In addition, he provides guidance and assistance for health care professionals responding to civil or criminal subpoenas and assists medical professionals with defense or prosecution of their legal rights in a commercial context.
- State Bar of Arizona
“Social Media Concerns Potentially Affecting Arizona’s Real Estate Industry”, Snell & Wilmer Real Estate Litigation Blog, 2014
- Defended national title insurance underwriter and local title and escrow companies against claims of bad faith and fraud.
- Represented various business in condemnation proceedings, including national restaurant chain, national hotel chain, and regional railroad company.
- Defended a national bank in federal and state court litigation challenging validity of foreclosure proceedings.
- Defended regional financial institution from state and federal claims of misconduct relating to issuance of a corporate credit card.
- Represented real estate development companies in wrongful recordation and quiet title litigation.
- Represented restaurants and business owners in lease restructuring disputes.
- Defended international real estate brokerage company in trademark infringement and breach of contract dispute.
- Represented residential housing clients in pursuing eviction of tenants for failure to comply with terms of applicable leases, health and safety violations, or risk of irreparable harm.
- Defended major health care institution in putative class action arising out of alleged improperly withheld health care benefits.
- Defended clinical research company in wrongful death litigation.
- Defended national blood testing laboratory in medical malpractice action.
- Defend national franchisor in litigation relating to disputes with area directors and franchisees.
- Represented international corporation plaintiffs in breach of contract and collections matters.
- Defended medical professionals in malpractice and medical board matters.
- Represented corporation during internal investigation of criminal conduct by executive and subsequent criminal prosecution and conviction.
- Represent individuals and companies in criminal proceedings brought by state or local authorities.
- Assisted individuals and corporations in obtaining orders of protection.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Arizona Asian American Bar Association
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- Scottsdale League for the Arts, 2012-2018
- President, 2017-2018
- Treasurer, 2015-2017
- Board of Directors, 2013-2018
- Membership Committee Chairman, 2013-2015
- Grants Committee Member, 2013
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Missouri, 2005-2008
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona, 2002-2005
- Volunteer Lawyers Program of Arizona