- Professional + Civic
After more than 42 years as a commercial trial attorney, Rick has started the process of transitioning his practice to service as an arbitrator and mediator. He has been on the employment, construction, and commercial panels for the American Arbitration Association for more than 15 years, serving as both an arbitrator and mediator. He is also a panel member for FINRA. Rick can also be retained directly by the parties for mediation or arbitration. Rick is a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. He currently serves as a judge pro tem for the Maricopa County Superior Court.
Rick has represented clients in arbitration, state, and federal court in commercial disputes involving construction, business dissolutions, corporate governance, contract enforcement, and employment matters. His experience handling employment matters includes restrictive employment covenants, defending wrongful termination and discrimination claims, and advising employers on complying with employment laws. Rick does extensive appellate work and has also served as a judge pro tem for the Arizona Court of Appeals.
Rick’s lengthy career as a successful attorney has solidified him as a go-to presenter and speaker on the issues and challenges associated with mediation, arbitration, and litigation. In the past several years, he has spoken for a number of organizations including the Arizona Builder’s Alliance, State Bar of Arizona, National Business Institute, Arizona State University, and the Park City Bar Association.
Rick has maintained an AV Rating with Martindale Hubbell since 1980 and consistently makes the ranks of Best Lawyers in America in numerous categories.
- State Bar of Arizona
- State Bar of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Supreme Court
- Arizona Construction Law Book, HLK Global Communications (2015)
- Successfully settled a $9 million claim against a national architecture firm.
- Represented a public official who was seeking insurance for major litigation he was involved in. The verdict exceeded $5 million, plus a sizable award of attorney’s fees.
- Represented a wholesale manufacturer and distributor, located in the United Kingdom, against various claims made by a Scottsdale-based company that was arbitrated under the international arbitration rules.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Arbitration Association Panel Member
- FINRA Panel Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Arizona Career Pathways, Board Member
- Men’s Art Council – Phoenix Art Museum, former President and current Board member
- Town of Paradise Valley Planning Commission, 2000-2017
- Encanto Village Planning Committee
- Arizona Alfa Romeo Owners Club, Board Member