- Professional + Civic
Whether behind the wheel of a classic roadster or in the courtroom making split-second decisions, Rick is at his best when he’s in the driver’s seat. To him, the parallels that exist between racing cars and litigating cases are apparent. He knows it takes a special desire to win to be successful, both on the track and before the court.
With a practice that focuses on dispute resolution through mediation, arbitration or litigation, Rick represents clients in state and federal court in commercial disputes involving construction, business dissolutions, corporate governance, contract enforcement and employment matters. His experience handling employment matters includes restrictive employment covenants, defending wrongful termination and discrimination claims and advising employers on complying with employment laws.
Rick also does extensive appellate work and has served as a judge pro tem for the Arizona Court of Appeals. In addition to serving as mediator and arbitrator in commercial disputes, Rick is on the commercial, construction and employment arbitration panels for the American Arbitration Association. He also represents parties in alternative dispute resolution and has represented clients in international arbitrations.
Rick’s 40 year career as a successful attorney has solidified him as a go-to presenter and speaker on the issues and challenges associated with mediation, arbitration and litigation. In the past year, he has spoken for a number of organizations, including the Arizona Builder’s Alliance, State Bar of Arizona, National Business Institute, Arizona State University and Park City Bar Association.
Rick has maintained an AV Rating with Martindale Hubbell since 1980 and consistently makes the ranks of Southwest Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
- State Bar of Arizona
- State Bar of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Supreme Court
- Arizona Construction Law Book, HLK Global Communications (2015)
- Successfully settled a $9 million claim against a national architecture firm.
- Represented a public official who was seeking insurance for major litigation he was involved in. The verdict exceeded $5 million, plus a sizable award of attorney’s fees.
- Represented a wholesale manufacturer and distributor, located in the United Kingdom, against various claims made by a Scottsdale-based company that was arbitrated under the international arbitration rules.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Arbitration Association Panel, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Arizona Career Pathways, Board Member
- Men’s Art Council – Phoenix Art Museum, former President
- Town of Paradise Valley Planning Commission, 2000-2017
- Arizona Alfa Romeo Owners Club, Board Member