Susan L. Watchman
- Professional + Civic
Susan has been one of the top attorneys in Arizona for more than two decades and a partner with Gammage & Burnham for nearly 30 years, focusing on health care, administrative law, government and public affairs/policy. But if you ask her, she simply likes to refer to herself as a creative problem solver who knows the ins and outs of Arizona’s health care system. Her clients can attest to her effective advice and deep understanding of the law on a number of issues relating to operational, financial, reimbursement and regulatory matters involving AHCCCS/Medicaid, Medicare, commercial insurance and managed care.
She works closely with clients, developing Medicaid and Medicare and HIPAA compliance programs, problem solving, and defending clients in reimbursement- or compliance-related actions taken by government agencies and others.
Since 2003, she has been consistently recognized in Best Lawyers in America and has a proven track record as a healthcare policy attorney that has elevated her as a thought leader within industry. She is a frequent keynote speaker on emerging healthcare issues relating to AHCCCS, HIPAA and other policy matters, presenting for Banner Health, the Arizona Hospital and Health Care Association, Arizona Financial Management Association, Dignity Health, Maricopa Integrated Health Systems, Arizona Healthcare Financial Management Association and Visions for Hope/Arizona Foundation for Behavioral Health.
- State Bar of Arizona
- AHCCCS Claims Disputes, Banner Health (2015)
- Legal Implications of a High Deductible and Narrow Network Universe, Arizona Hospital and Health Care Association (2014)
- Health Care Legal Update, Arizona Healthcare Financial Management Association (2014)
- AHCCCS Claims Disputes, Dignity Health (2013)
- AHCCCS Claims Disputes, Maricopa Integrated Health System (2013)
- The Uninsured (And Folks You Thought were covered), Arizona Healthcare Financial Management Association (2012)
- HIPAA Revisited, Visions for Hope / Arizona Foundation for Behavioral Health (2012 & 2013)
- Worked with hospital clients to assess the impact of new AHCCCS (Medicaid) reimbursement systems and negotiated pre-implementation changes; associated administrative and civil litigation to correct material deficiencies in reimbursement methodology.
- Assisted in the development and implementation of strategic litigation to define scope of AHCCCS program in critical areas, including services to undocumented individuals (see e.g., Scottsdale Healthcare et al. v. AHCCCS, 206 Ariz. 1, 75 P.3d 91 (2003)).
- Represented providers in recovery of unpaid or improperly paid claims from AHCCCS and AHCCCS managed care plans (MCOs).
- Represented health care clients before the Arizona Department of Health Services and professional licensing agencies in adverse licensing actions.
- Ongoing assistance identifying and resolving compliance issues related to AHCCCS, Medicare, state licensing, and HIPAA, including resolution of proposed sanctions by government regulators.
- Advisement and representation on legislative and regulatory matters related to AHCCCS.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Healthcare Financial Management Association, Member
- Arizona Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Maricopa County Bar, Member
- Maricopa County Women Lawyers Association, Member
- Mountain Park Health Center, Volunteer
- Arizona Beagle Rescue, Volunteer