- Professional + Civic
Rubi focuses her practice on labor and employment law, and commercial litigation with an emphasis in the healthcare field. Rubi routinely advises clients on compliance with state and federal employment laws and drafts employment-related agreements, policies, and affirmative action plans as well as non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements. She has written and reviewed more than a dozen employee handbooks for private and public companies and non-profit organizations.
In litigation, Rubi conducts internal investigations and represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Arizona Civil Rights Division and handles pre-trial litigation including discovery, depositions, and motion for summary judgment hearings. She also has experience in federal court regarding a variety of employment-related issues. Rubi assists her clients in defending against discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims under Title VII, FMLA, USERRA, ADA and EPA, and in enforcing violations of non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentially agreements. Rubi also represents healthcare providers with respect to reimbursement and compliance issues.
In addition to her legal work, Rubi gives back to the community through the Arizona Coalition Against Domestic Violence, where she serves on the board of directors, and Los Abogados.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- Presenter, “Let’s Get Out of The Weeds; Understanding Arizona’s Medical Marijuana Laws,” Arizona Total Rewards Association (June 6, 2019)
- Co-Author, “Let’s Get Out of The Weeds; Understanding Arizona’s Medical Marijuana Laws,” Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (Spring 2019)
- Defending employers in federal and state employee discrimination and retaliation litigation, as well as wage and hour litigation
- Representing employers before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Arizona Civil Rights Commission, the Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health, and other administrative entities against wage and hour, discrimination, and retaliation charges, including conducting investigations, drafting position statements, and participating in mediation/conciliation/arbitration
- Advising employers on current trends and compliance with state and federal employment laws including the ADA, FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, Arizona’s Civil Rights Act, and Arizona’s Employment Protection Act
- Drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements in the employment setting
- Consulting with employers on employment issues and solutions as they pertain to mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and reductions in workforce, including WARN Act compliance
- Drafting comprehensive employment agreements, policies and handbooks for employers
- Conducting internal investigations for start-up companies, financial institutions, international fast food restaurant chains, car retailers, and non-profit organizations regarding allegations of misconduct by officers and/or employees
Professional & Community Involvement
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Los Abogado’s Latina Mentoring Project and Gala Committee
- National Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- National Employment Law Council (NELC) Academy, Member
- Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence, Board of Directors