- Professional + Civic
Jim was a founding member of Polese Hiner & Nolan PA and Polese Pietzsch Williams & Nolan PA. He joined Gammage & Burnham in February 2008.
With more than 43 years of experience practicing law, it’s no surprise that Jim has built a reputation as a highly competent attorney, dealing with sophisticated estate/tax planning strategies, with an emphasis on real estate, business organizations and commercial transactions. For the past 30 years, he has been a member of the Phoenix Tax Workshop Advisory Board, an affiliate of the Arizona Society of CPAs. For a number of years, he taught tax seminars for the Arizona Society of CPAs. He has published articles dealing with Family Limited Partnerships in the Journal of the State Bar of Arizona and Tax Strategies and remains a sought- after speaker on the topic.
Jim is a proud Army veteran and prefers to spend his off time on his 170-acre farm in Southwest France with his wife of 47 years, Rita. He has 2 grown children, a married daughter and a son who is a naval aviator.
- State Bar of Arizona
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States Tax Court
- Proposed Section 2704 Regulations: Is It Time to Rethink Valuation Discount Planning?, Phoenix Tax Workshop (2016)
- IRC Section 409A and Small Business Planning, Phoenix Tax Workshop (2015)
- Mahurkar Double Lumen Hemodialysis Catheter Patent Litigation, 71 F.3d 1573 (Fed. Cir. 1995)
- W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc., vs. International Medical Prosthetics Research Associates, Inc., 975 F. 2d 858 (Fed. Cir. 1992)
- King vs. Russell, 963 F.2d 1301 (9th Cir. 1992)
- W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc. vs. International Medical Prosthetics Research Associates, Inc., 16 USPQ2d 1241 (Fed. Cir. 1990)
- W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc. vs. International Medical Prosthetics Research Associates, Inc., 1990 WL 180490 (D. Ariz. 1990)
- In re Lansford, 822 F.2d 902 (9th Cir. 1987)
- Ewing vs. State of Arizona, 155 Ariz. 200, 745 P.2d 947 (1987)
- Echols v. Beauty Built Homes, Inc. 132 Ariz. 498, 647 P.2d 629 (1982)
Professional & Community Involvement
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member