Alexander J.N. Karam
- Professional + Civic
Alex assists entrepreneurs and businesses in every stage of development: entity formation and structuring, contracting with vendors, suppliers, and customers, regulatory compliance, corporate governance and internal affairs, financing, debt workouts, and mergers and acquisitions. As part of his transactional practice, Alex counsels businesses participating in Arizona’s medical cannabis, adult-use cannabis, and industrial hemp industries. Notably, Alex successfully helped a client obtain and sell one of the first adult-use cannabis licenses in Arizona.
Alex earned his Juris Doctor from Emory University School of Law, graduating from the law school’s entrepreneurship and law program (TI:GER) – a nationally recognized collaboration between Emory Law and Georgia Institute of Technology. Alex received his B.A. in Economics, magna cum laude, and Entrepreneurship, magna cum laude, from the University of Arizona with honors.
As a native Arizonan, Alex loves the outdoors. When not at the office, he enjoys snowboarding, backpacking, golfing, playing guitar, and traveling with his wife.
- Presented “Practicing in a COVID World”, Arizona Bankruptcy Inn of Court (November 2021)
- Co-Presenter, “Selected Subchapter V Issues: A Deeper Dive,” Arizona Bankruptcy Inn of Court (Dec. 10, 2020)
- Author, “The Legal Landscape of Cannabidiol (CBD),” Arizona Attorney Magazine (March 2020)
- Co-Presenter, “Cannabis 101,” presented in conjunction with the Minnesota State Bar Association, Webcast (Nov. 5, 2019)
- Presenter, Arizona Annual State Bar Convention (2018, 2019)
- Assisted a multistate hotel conglomerate in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Assisted in obtaining the first Subchapter V reorganization plan confirmation in Arizona
- Guided clients through the purchase and sale of their business
- Represented client in sale of distressed business, including the resolution of over $1 Million in business and personally guaranteed debt
- Successfully assisted client in obtaining an adult-use Marijuana Establishment License
- Successfully assisted client in selling adult-use Marijuana Establishment License
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member of Arizona Bankruptcy Inn of Court
- Member, Arizona Thurgood Marshall Inn of Court
- Member, Business Law Section
- Founding Member and Treasurer, Arizona Cannabis Bar Association